Thursday, June 10, 2010

Baby Steps...

Well not so much "steps" in the literal sense of the word, but David Scott has made some strides in the movement and language category.  He's been babbling a lot lately and last Sunday, DS said, "Ma."  I capitalized it b/c I like to think he was just shortening "Mama" to just "Ma."  Hey -- I'll take what I can get!  He's said it along with other indistinguishable sounds a few more times since then.  Needless to say, every other word in our household since then has been, "Ma-ma."

Then yesterday as I dropped our little monkey off at daycare, I said, "Bye bye, David Scott," and waved like I do every day.  Well on this day, DS happened to have his hand kind of up-ish and he moved it.  I wouldn't call it a wave per se, but I'm sure that was his way of casually saying, "See ya, Ma!"  We'll continue to work on our waving "bye bye."

And then last night, as Scotty and I were playing with him on the floor after dinner (or was it before?  I don't remember -- irrelevant, anyway), David Scott sort of pulled one leg up into a pre-crawl position.  Almost like he was preparing to take off, but  then said, "Sike!  I got you!  Not ready to crawl yet!"  He pulls up on our hands all the time and has really strong legs.  They're so chunky and delicious!

Yes, these small milestones may not seem like a big deal to some, but we think it's so cool to watch him learn new things and pick up new skills every day.  He's literally changing right before our very eyes.  Scotty and I are going to St. Thomas for a friend's wedding in a few weeks and my biggest fear is that DS is going to say, "Ma-ma," crawl, and wave "bye bye" during the time we're gone and we'll miss these "firsts."  I will be DEVASTATED if we're not there.  I guess we'll just have to do some intense training with the crawling and saying, "Mama" so that he will have mastered both by the time we leave on our trip.  Ha!  I think waving "bye bye" is a little further down the road, but crawling and that all important first word, I feel, are just around the corner.




More and more, David Scott is scooting everywhere and sitting up so well.  I told Scotty we should nickname him "Scooter."  However, he didn't like that.  As a baby, it was apparently his nickname for the same reason.  AND, growing up, we had a dog named Scooter; she was the best. 

This past weekend, we went to Lowe's.  It's become our place to go on the weekends.  This was David Scott's second or third time to ride in the buggy big-boy style and he loved it!


Here are a few things I've caught myself saying to DS over the past week or so:
  • As he sits on the floor and puts the Best Buy ad into his mouth - "David Scott -- you are not a goat.  We do not eat paper."
  • As he's bathing (multiple nights, multiple times each night) - "David Scott -- that is bathwater.  We do not drink bathwater.  It is gross."
I'm certain that we will have many more of these in the near future.  And look out once this kid starts really talking.  I cannot imagine some of the stuff that's gonna come out of his mouth. This was kind of a random post, but since this is really a way for me to "remember" things about DS' childhood and our family, I wanted to be sure it was done for posterity.  :) 

1 comment:

  1. that naked pic is so cute! his face in that one is cracking me up!

    ReplyDelete