Thursday, August 5, 2010

Destin...

As I've done with the last few trips we've taken, I kept notes during our time in Destin.  Unfortunately, my camera decided to stop working on Day 2 and I can't retrieve my pics from it at this time.  If anybody wants to get me something REALLY GOOD for my birthday (hint, hint), a cool camera would be right up my alley...one that allows me to take lots of pics quickly and that is reliable.  Just saying...Here's our Destin recap:

Thursday, July 29
DS is all smiles as we leave for his first beach vacation.

7:32 a.m. - Left house heading for the beach. We are wearing our swimsuits and cover-ups (me) so we can go straight to the beach when we get to Destin.

7:50. I just realized I did not pack my bra. Wonderful.

8:26 - List of things I realized Ive forgotten...so far:
     1. Bra
     2. Sippy cup for DS
     3. Extra blanket for DS
     4. Ready to serve bottles of formula just in case...also for DS (obviously)

11:00 - I just woke up from a quick nap in the car. DS has been asleep for a couple of hours, so he should be waking shortly.

11:45 - Just gave DS a bottle. Normally, he takes his mid-morning bottle at 10:30!

12:15 p.m. - Drove through Arby's for lunch

1:00 - We're here! Even though check-in isn't until 4, we're hoping that by some vacation miracle, we can check in early.

1:10 - We cannot. Plan B: Go meet Mimi and Crew at their spot on the beach.

1:35 - After a hike of approx. half a mile -- in the sand --we get to where Deb, Chuck, et al have set up. We quickly spread out a large beach towel in the shade and David Scott became acqainted with sand. He didn't eat any (yet), but can't quite figure out what it is.

1:40 - We took DS to play in the seaweedy water. He liked it. Then a wave hit him in the face. He didn't seem to like the saltwater taste of the water, but he didn't scream bloody murder either. So far today, DS gets a gold star for traveling etiquite, not eating the sand, and not hating the water.

3:15 - It's been raining for about 15 minutes or so. This sucks. After a brief break in the clouds, we are packing our stuff up and heading in to our room...hopefully.

3:35 - Since we still couldn't get in the room, Scotty, Lee, DS, and I are heading on a grocery run.

4:15 - Get back to condo and are finally able to get in our condo. It's nice. They've made a very efficient use of space. The bedroom is exactly that: a small room that barely has enough room for the bed and a nightstand/drawer combo.

6:25 - After short naps for DS, Lee (who has a migraine), and me, we are heading, sans Lee, to Fudpucker's for dinner.  Scotty fed Ds in the condo before we left.


This is why DS doesn't wear clothes when Daddy feeds him...

9:30 - We returned to the condo for the evening, all three of us exhausted. Lee is feeling better. DS is getting his bottle then we're going to bed. Please sleep all night, my Lovebug.

Friday, July 30

7:54 a.m. - DS had a good night, only waking up (for real) once about 1:30. I'm about to head to the pool to see what Scotty and David Scott are doing. They've been down there since 7:30. :)


My little guppy...OR...Scotty and his Mini-Me...

9:26 - Heading down to the beach!

11:19 - DS and I return to the condo for lunch (me) and hopefully a nap (him). The big boys, Scotty and lee, are getting ready to go play golf. One of these days, perhaps David Scott will get to go play too.

1:47 p.m.- List of things to bring next time:
     1. A LARGE, sand-repelling beach cover-- the size of several large beach towels combined but in a single piece to avoid sand getting all over it.
     2. If we have a child who takes a bottle, bring meal-size, ready-made formula bottles so you don't have to mix a bottle on the beach -- repeat from previous list.

2:13 - After a good nap for DS, we are heading back down to the beach. Mimi is coming back down to join in on the fun.

3:29 - Mimi and Chuck just returned from taking DS to the pool. I think the salty air is clearing out little David Scott's sinuses. The poor baby's eyes have been watering on and off; same for his runny nose. AND he sounds like his chest is phlegmy as well. We may be doing a breathing treatment later. And that, Scotty, is why I wanted to bring it with us...just in case.


Hot, sweaty, old-man-looking DS...covered in graham crackers...

3:54 - After a brief detour back to the pool, the little mister and I are back at the condo. He's a little tired and I've had enough baby wrangling in the sand for the day.


Hey, Mama!  Look what I found!

I think I'll use this unsturdy table tray to help me stand up later...

4:27 - Sitting on the balcony with my sleeping baby in my arms, while John Mayer plays in the distant background. Does life get any better?!? Oh, and my camera's stopped working. So yes, life could be better if my camera was working. Luckily, the camera on my phone works great, so we're back to loving life. :)

7:30 - Eating at Seagars restaurant (steak and seafood) with Deb, Chuck, and crew.

10:15 - Returned to condo for the evening. Food was great, company was good, Lee was most entertaining as always. DS was completely worn out.


Saturday, July 31

7:00 a.m. - DS had a good night, only waking at about 3 am for a snack and then for the day just now.

8:05 - Scotty took DS to the pool while I look for the bottoms of my black swimsuit. Still haven't found them, so I'm going to the pool with all the boys, wearing my other swimsuit.

10:00 - Called Mamaw to wish her a happy birthday. Left to go to the cell phone store for lee. He broke his phone last night and it is not working.


Baby you can drive my car...waiting for Lee at Verizon.

11:07 - Returned to condo, new phone for lee and a book about Myrtle the Seaturtle for DS (we went to a nearby B&N while Lee took care of his phone business). Eating lunch then going down to the beach.

12:15 p.m. - Finally reached Mimi and Chuck (crew was in various places). Worst plan ever. I lugged DS and two full beach bags (and Scotty's lemonade). Lee and Scotty carried 5 big beach towels, the ice chest, and the tent. Again, this was approx half a mile down the beach. We're exhausted.

12:45 - DS is taking his 4th nap of the day -- the previous three have all been between 15 and 30 minutes, so he's due for his "big" nap. I'm about to get started on my book.


Snoozing...

1:37 - Stupid decision fo the day #2: Thinking we could take DS out into the ocean effortlessly. We were fine at first, but it got deep fast and we were treading water with Scotty holding our little munchkin. Luckily Mimi and Chuck saw that we would need rafts beore we realized we would and were shortly behind us. We rafted over to a sandbar with DS riding on one of the rafts, laid back semi-napping, but seemingly enjoying the ride. We stayed on the sandbar for 10 minutes or so before making the much easier trip back to shore. Talk about physically exhausting.

4:00 - We arrived back at the condo after spending several more hours on the beach and in their condo's pool. DS is a BIG fan of the pool. He's gonna be a little fish, we can already tell.

5:23 - I am laying out by our pool while Scotty, DS, and Lee rest in the room. We're going out to eat again tonight with possibly bowling or putt-putt golf afterwards. Bringing a small baby on vacation, especially the beach, is tiring. But, David Scott seems to be having a good time, so that makes my tiredness worthwhile.

8:00 - We arrive to the restaurant and DS has seemed a little warm for a few hours-- so much so that I gave him some Tylenol earlier. He's still quite warm and it's been 4 hours, so he's getting another dose.

9:27 - On our way to the pharmacy to buy a thermometer. I held a sleeping DS throughout the meal and he was burning up the whole time. I was super hot as well.

9:45 - Heading back to condo. Temp was 100.6, so we're not looking at an ER visit, fortunately. Tested it again a few minutes later. Temp seems to be dropping since his hot body is no longr pressed up against mine.

10:15 - Mimi offered to come stay with DS whose temp is now at 99 degrees. Scotty, Lee, and I are heading to play putt-putt golf.

11:58 - Now on our way back to the condo. Scotty won (shocker), Lee came in 2nd (shocker), and I was in 3rd place. What truly was surprising was that I was only two strokes behind Lee; a personal best for me score-wise.

Sunday, August 1

9:00 a.m. - Packed up 4-Runner and leaving condo.  Destination:  Waffle House followed by a quick trip through the Silver Sands Outlet Mall.

11:00 - On the road again.  Found DS a few outfits at Carter's and Scotty a few shirts.  Nothing for me.  I'm so burned out on clothes right now although I desperately need some new ones.  I'm so over the ugly patterns and unflattering styles.

3:45 p.m. - DS has been napping on and off most of the trip home.  I've been trying to keep him happy by giving him a few graham crackers in between bottles.  However, I think he's on to my strategy and is just plain tired of being in his carseat. 


DS, do you want some cheese with that whine?  How about a graham cracker instead?!?

4:05 - DS is screaming.  We're playing the song "Boom Boom Pow" for the third time.  This child LOVES that song and it instantly quiets him and calms him down.  Bless you Blackeyed Peas.

4:35 - We're HOME!  Yay!  Unfortunately, our a/c crapped out on us at some point and it is literally 95 degrees in our house.  It's cooler outside than inside.

6:00 - A/C guy came and was able to fix the problem...$125 later...Apparently, either the fan or the compressor (or both) got overworked and needed some jostling and/or cooling off...this South LA heat is affecting everything.

By the time we left for work on Monday morning, the temperature inside the  house had reached a cool 73 degrees.  Here's hoping our 3.5 year old air conditioner doesn't crap out again...on us anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment