Sunday, September 12, 2010

The Christening...

Christening...Baptism...whatever you want to call it.  Either way, David Scott is now "official" as far as the church is concerned.  Last weekend, we were fortunate enough to be able to have the ceremony at First United Methodist Church in Winnsboro.  This place holds a special spot in our hearts as it was the church Scotty and I both grew up in AND it is the church we were married in almost 4 years ago.  One of my great-great-great (?) relatives was one of the initial founders of FUMC-Winnsboro, as well.  So yeah, we go way back.

Anyway, we'd chosen that specific weekend b/c it was a holiday weekend and I knew we wouldn't have to rush home to BR after scarfing down our lunch.  Nearly everyone got to attend the service -- of course, there was Scotty and me, Gran and Papa D, Mimi and Chuck, Mamaw (no Papaw as he wasn't feeling up to it -- we missed him, though), Auntie Boo and Uncle Dusty, Uncle Lee, Uncle B and his girlfriend Courtney, (Scotty's) Uncle Davey and Aunt Paula, and cousins Ben, Shelby, and Whitney (and Paula's niece whose name I don't recall).  After we arrived at the church, I noticed one familiar head, in particular -- my Aunt Millie and part of her family had come from Houston (well, Toledo Bend, really) to celebrate with us.  I was so overcome, I started tearing up when I saw her and Christina (and of course Rex, Emily, Dylan, and Jake).  I was so happy to have some of my dad's side of the family with us.  Bud Bud, of course, was there in spirit with us; and in a special twist, Brad was wearing an actual pair of his socks.  So, kinda funny!  Speaking of Brad's attire, he was also wearing a bowtie.  Thank you Bill Nye, Science Guy for coming.  Actually, I want to see if he even reads my blog, so we'll see if he comments on anything.  :)

DS was very good throughout the ceremony -- even deciding at one point that two socks was too cumbersome so he took one off.  That's how he rolls.  As OCD as I am, I couldn't handle his feet not being even, so I removed the other sock right before he was presented to the congregation.  I wasn't expecting to be as proud of the events as I was, but I think with the surprise of my Aunt Millie and my cousin Christina and her family being in attendance, I was a little emotional. 


Two socks...

One sock...

No socks...

Afterwards we had lunch at Gran and Papa D's.  They'd prepared quite a spread for all 26 (!!!) of us.  We spent the rest of the day visiting with everybody (including two late-comers -- Jessie and Olivia), swimming, and visiting even more when Sue Sue, Alicia, and their crew came over for pizza that evening.  We had a great, long-weekend.  There really aren't enough of those.  I think we should have long weekends at least once a month, or more often would be fantastic.

We did a few other things last weekend, but I'll post about that later.  Here are some pics from after the ceremony.

My two babies and me...

The Rainwater Tribe...

Auntie Boo, DS, and Uncle Dusty --
Rach was my faithful photographer AND I think this is a great pic so I had to add it .

Good boy...

Eating grass...

Just a swingin'...

2 comments:

  1. We enjoyed the weekend and were glad we pulled off the surprise visit from Millie, Christina and the gang! A good time was had by all! Great pics from your new camera...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Since none of us are obsessive compulsive at all, I wonder why one sock on & one sock off would bother you!

    ReplyDelete