Sunday, September 11, 2011

The Dirty Thirty...

I turned 30 on August 27th. Everyone asked me if I was apprehensive about the big day. Nope. Not one bit. I know that my 30s are going to be great.

2006, 25 (and 26) years old...

My 20s were fine. I graduated from college. Twice. I got a real job (and I still like it!). I got married to my high school sweetheart (finally!). I got pregnant and had David Scott. But also during that time, I lost my dad. Overall, the good outweighed the bad in the number of events. But losing my dad, unexpectedly, knocked me down. Big time. More than I really ever expected it to. Looking back, I can see that now. However, becoming a parent, specifically a mama to my sweet boy, put a new perspective on life events like losing a parent or somebody you love. But it also gives you a new perspective on life in general. And I appreciate life much more. So I'm thankful for 30.

I know that my 30s and the rest of my life will bring lots of good stuff. And some bad stuff, too. That's life. But I know the good will outweigh the bad.

To celebrate the big day, Scotty took me/us to the beach. Most of the family had other commitments, but Mamaw and Mrs. Debbie came with us. They kept DS last night so Scotty and I could go eat (without interruption!!) and do whatever. We ended up going to play putt-putt golf (I only lost by 1...a personal best for me -- or a personal worst for Scotty, however you want to look at it), and then the arcade where we played skee ball, my fave, among other games. We spent about $7 in the arcade and ended up with a ball for DS that probably cost $2. Earlier in the day, we went to Waffle House for breakfast (tacky, but oh so good!). DS had a meltdown while we were there, so my birthday breakfast was spent eating in shifts taking turns sitting with Mr. Mad On in the 4Runner. Then we went to pick up my super cute cake that Scotty and Mrs. Debbie had arranged:

Then we went back to the condo for some beach and pool time. We'd spent Friday in a similar fashion -- beach and pool playing all day but we went to Lulu's for supper. Delish and so much fun for kids. DS entertained the masses with his dancing. He'd done the same thing at The Hangout Thursday night with just the three of us before Deb and Mam arrived. He is just too funny..and cute...good combination!








A backwards recollection of the trip, but I'm fine with that. I was fortunate to get to celebrate turning The Dirty Thirty at one of my favorite spots with some of my favorite people. We had a great time. I prefer making memories than getting "stuff" any day of the week.

No comments:

Post a Comment