Sunday, May 20, 2012

Motherhood - 2012...

This past Mother's Day, we were in North LA for Anders' christening. So my day wasn't filled with lounging around with someone waiting on me hand and foot, relieving me of my motherly duties. My weekend/day was spent in the trenches of motherhood. Getting ready for church, having to take you out of church, fixing food, making you eat, changing diapers and going to potty, playing, disciplining, pouring juice, bathing, and not getting sleep b/c you toss and turn and kick in your sleep.

But I wouldn't have it any other way. Being a mom is not easy -- in fact, it's harder than my paying job. Sure, there are days that are easier than others, but most of the time, at this age anyway, the days are harder b/c I feel like all we do is redirect, tell you NOT to do something, tell you TO do something, give you ultimatums/bargain with you about eating supper, it's just endless at times.

But then there are other times where you give your Daddy a kiss, or tell us you love us and that bit of goodness way overshadows the earlier frustrations. Or you'll say please or thank you without being prompted and it reinforces for us that we are doing the right things in trying to teach you manners.

Being a good mother is the greatest responsibility I'll ever have. And while I know I have and will continue to make mistakes in my mothering endeavors, I know that as long as I do my best (most of the time -- I did let you have a cookie with breakfast on Friday), I know that the end result will be exactly what it's supposed to be. In the meantime, we'll continue to enjoy the ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment