Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Two Weeks Old and The First Holiday

Well, as you've probably figured out by now, we've been a little busy this past week.  Feeding, napping, changing diapers, washing clothes...you know the drill.  Fortunately, we've had help from both of David Scott's grandmothers since we got home.  Last Thursday was DS' first holiday -- Thanksgiving -- quite appropriate as Thanksgiving has always been my favorite holiday.  This year, we have so much to be thankful for.  Specifically, we are thankful for our newborn son who is such a joy and blessing to our family.  Have I told you that we hit the jackpot with this kid?!?  Seriously, he is a happy, good-natured, easy-going baby and we love him so much.  Anyway, we had a great day with each other as well as my mom, step-father, and sister.  Here's a pic of our little family on Thanksgiving Day:


Yes, I know his smile is probably the result of a passing gas bubble in his system, but I don't care.  He smiles at us all the time.  And although we haven't captured it (or even tried to yet), he is really holding his head up well considering he's only two weeks old.  It's so amazing to watch him change, grow, and learn new things every day.  I guess we all take for granted that we know how certain things work -- simple things -- arm control, head/neck control and strength.  But to really watch our son learn these things on a day-to-day basis is so cool.  For instance, David Scott is "grabbing" at Scotty's face and trying to "move" it so that he can suck on his daddy's nose.  It's pretty funny to watch.  And last Thursday/Friday, DS finally got latching on.  Thank you, Lord!  Success!  I was so glad that he finally grasped this concept, and just before my mom left, too.  She was a big help for me with this whole nursing thing, and overall of course.  Scotty's mom was too.  She came in on Saturday and left today, heading back up to North LA.  So now we're on our own.  Within the next few days, I expect us to fall even more into our own little routine.  We've been on somewhat of a 3-hour schedule throughout the day since we came home from the hospital.  Last night was the first night that DS went 4 hours in between feedings where I had to actually wake him up.  He's pretty alert throughout most of the day, which I love.  This way we get plenty of face time with one another with the added bonus of a little more sleep at night for me.  Well, last night anyway.  I'm hoping that continues. 

We went for his 2-week check-up with Dr. K yesterday.  DS gained another 2 oz on his frame and is now weighing in at a hefty 6 lbs, 10 oz!  He's still 20 inches long, but what did I expect, a huge increase in height in just a week?  Nah.  Now we don't have to go back to the pediatrician until he's 2 months old.  Yay! 

Today, our little boy is two weeks old.  I can't believe it's already been two weeks.  Time is already flying by.  I want it to slow down a little...


No comments:

Post a Comment