Saturday, October 2, 2010

This week...



As I mentioned in my last post, Scotty and I celebrated our anniversary -- 4 years -- on September 23rd.  We are so lucky that we have good friends around us who kept David Scott so we could celebrate.  Friday night, our baby-sitter Katelyn came over to watch DS for the evening while we went out to eat.  Ruth's Chris...yummy!  Then on Saturday, after running a bunch of errands, Racheal and Brandon Bellemin came over to watch DS for the afternoon and evening so we could tailgate and go to the LSU game.  It was a very late night due to the timing of the game (8 p.m. -- ugh).  We didn't get to bed until 2 a.m. and were exhausted when David Scott, my early bird, decided it was wake-up time just 4 hours later.  Luckily, I was able to get him back to sleep a little longer after taking a bottle, so Scotty got up with him about 8.  We'd planned to go to the Saints game, but on such little sleep decided that wasn't the best of ideas.  My co-worker Lauri, who'd volunteered to keep DS anytime we needed her, convinced us to go and let them keep DS as we'd originally planned.  Game on.  So we went.  We had fun...most of the game...until we got behind...and then we lost.  Basically, our whole weekend was spent away from DS (sad face).  I know that will probably not happen again, but I hated not spending the whole weekend with him since that's the only time we really get to spend time with him -- unless you count the time in the car on the way to/from daycare every day (about 2 hours), and then there's the 2 hours or so in the evening spent feeding, playing, bathing, getting ready for bed, and then it's bedtime.  It saddens me to think about all the time we're missing out on while he's at daycare -- but, he's getting way more socialization there than I would be able to provide him at home.  But then again, perhaps he wouldn't have caught Thrush like he apparently did this week.

On Wednesday, tough-guy DS fell face first into the grass/ground and bloodied his nose a little bit.  Then on Thursday, I get a call about 9:15.  It went something like this:
     Daycare:  Sarah, this is Ms. Hope (the director).  Look, David Scott has some white spots in his mouth.  Did you happen to notice anything this morning?
     Me:  (Wearing a heat that reads "Bad Parent") No, ma'am.  Does he need to go to the doctor?  (All the while I'm thinking to myself, "Stupid question...they wouldn't be calling you if this wasn't a big deal.")
     Daycare:  Well, given his cold and the fact that his voice is still cracking, I'd say yes.  But he's not running any fever.
     Me:  OK.  What do you think it is?  (Just so I know what to expect)
     Daycare:  Probably Thrush or maybe Hand, Foot, Mouth.
     Me:  (Sighs to myself...yuck...wonderful)  I'll come get him as soon as I can get an appointment scheduled.
     Daycare:  OK, darlin'.  Take your time.  (All the while I know she's thinking, "Hurry up and come get your infectious kid before we all catch whatever he has...")

So we went to the doctor.  Diagnosis:  Thrush.  A common ailment of small children which nonetheless requires prescription meds for about 2 weeks as well as either boiling and possibly replacing all bottle nipples and pacis.  I sterilized it all and we've decided now just may be the time that we try and get rid of the paci.  So Thursday night we put DS to bed without his paci.  No screams.  No tears.  Just glorious sleep...until 5:30.  Scotty got up and brought my crying little man to snuggle in bed with me while he got ready and left for work.  We slept for about 45 minutes longer before we were required to get up and get ready for daycare and work.  I'm looking forward to this weekend.  Nothing planned other than the never-ending running errands (and of course football non-stop) and spending some QT with a certain Ladies Man...


1 comment:

  1. congrats on getting rid of the paci! DON'T GIVE IN AND GIVE IT BACK!! your life just got a tad easier.

    ReplyDelete