Monday, November 8, 2010

1st Halloween...and more...

October 2010 was David Scott's first experience with Halloween.  About 2 months ago, I decided that DS was going to be a kangaroo.  It made perfect sense b/c of his love for all things jumpy.  I ordered the size 6-12 months -- at 11 1/2 months old, and by my guesstimate would be wearing size 12 month clothes by Halloween, I thought we were in the clear for the size I ordered, with my only other alternatives being 3-6 months and 2T.  It arrives a week or so after I ordered it, I couldn't wait to try it on David Scott to see how super cute he was going to be.  And it was too big.  And not just He's-got-another-2-months-or-so-to-grow-into-it-big...it was big enough for a 2  year old.  No problem, I'll return it and get my money back or exchange it for something else.  Note to self:  Read the return policy of stuff before buying it just in case it's non-returnable as was the case with the kangaroo costume.  So we're saving the costume for next year; hopefully it fits.  Plan B?  At the time, I had no Plan B.  After much deliberation, I decided that DS was going to be a crawfish for Halloween.  Found the costume at a local store and tried it on DS before buying it since once again, no return on Halloween costumes.  What is the deal, people?!?  Anyhoo, I was concerned that DS might be walking by the time he would be wearing his costume and it didn't have leg holes.  I decided I'd cross that bridge if I came to it.  Luckily, I didn't have to go to Plan C (undetermined) since no walking, but the crawfish fits kids up to 28".  Guess who measured 28.5"?  Yep, David Scott.  So he barely was able to squeeze into his costume.  It was hot, too tight for the length of his body, AND he couldn't crawl in it.  3 strikes and I was out -- he hated his costume and as a result, wore his skeleton pj's all day long.  Even to Lowe's.  Yep, we were that family today with our child wearing only socks and his pajamas in public.  Oh well -- I told myself, "He's a baby.  Everybody thinks babies are cute no matter what."  I was right.  No one even gave us a second look.  Well, a few did, except they did so to tell us how cute the skeleton was. 
As far as events for this "holiday" went, there really weren't any.  The daycare had a Halloween parade/trick-or-treating at nearby businesses on Thursday.  Not only did I have to take DS to get his second part of the flu shot, but I too had a (regular) doctor's appt. that afternoon, and after all the recent sickness and having to stay home with a sick baby, I decided I really couldn't take off to do trick-or-treating with daycare.  Well, I will definitely do it next year.  My friend Allison went with her son James and she took a few pics of DS for me.  Although a parent wasn't present for DS to go, there were enough teachers available that his teacher, Ms. Nora, was able to take him.  He did wear his costume, and was somewhat perturbed at having to do so, but got over it really quickly once he realized he'd be outside.  Ms. Nora told me that several people saw the big red-ness coming their way and said, "Elmo!"  Funny - last time I checked, Elmo did not have antennae or claws.

That Saturday night, we decided to carve our pumpkin.  DS was more interested in playing with a spoon than in anything having to do with the big orange thing he points to every day.  Scotty decided he would be the carver, and instead of listening to my gentle suggestions of how to do the mouth, he did it  his own way.  We're now the proud owners of Jack, the friendly pumpkin.  Not scary at all.  Even David Scott laughed at his Daddy's craftmanship.  Although Scotty and I have been together many Halloweens, this was the first one that we'd carved a pumpkin together.  It was nice to have a true family "first" for all three of us.

On the 31st, we didn't do too much, tried finishing up a few more things around the house and ran a few more errands in preparation for the 1st birthday party.  DS didn't have much of a nap at all during the day, so he and I both went down for one late afternoon.  When we woke up from our nap, DS still wasn't in any mood to wear his costume, so we let him continue to wear his skeleton pj's and we/I decided trick-or-treating was not in our plans for the evening.  We had chili for supper and greeted the few trick-or-treaters who knocked on our door.  I think my skeleton enjoyed seeing all the different kids and costumes who came by.  That was it for us.  Hopefully next year will be a little more exciting and perhaps DS will be a little more open to wearing a costume that hopefully fits.  NOTE:  My pics got jumbled and I don't have time to put them in the correct order...


 Not tears of joy on the face of that sweet crawfish...I mean tough crawfish...

 In his Halloween best with his accessory du jour -- a spoon.

Lola on Halloween...Scouting for food in DS' old carseat...

Scotty and Friendly Jack-O-Lantern

This last weekend was spent doing more last-minute things to get ready for DS' party mainly. However, on Friday night, we went to our friends' house -- Brad and Laura. They're a house divided with Laura pulling for LSU and Brad pulling for Alabama. They hosted friends and family at their house for a little get together. Laura wanted us to bring David Scott so we did. He was a hit...especially with Brad's mom who just loved him. Begrudgingly I told her that he was a fan of the color red and was probably drawn to her red sweater. She really took that to heart and was trying to convert him all night. DS and I only lasted a couple hours before it was time for him to go to be so we came back home and hit the sack. Over Saturday and Sunday, we got in our share of football but it was balanced out with our many errands and yard work. I've said it before and I'll say it again: I cannot wait until DS and future Rainwater kids are old enough to help with yard work. Although I'd mowed our yard and my Mamaw's yard growing up -- starting in jr. high -- neither Rachel nor Brad ever had to mow. Not fair. At our house, we will be an equal opportunity mowing family with everybody pitching in.


This week is crazy with a bunch of little, last-minute things that have cropped up at work and around the house.  For a while, we've been trying to get somebody out to the house to replace some of the hardwood that was damaged when we left an ice chest out during Hurricane Gustav a few years back,  The floor had started to look somewhat warped in a few spots so we decided that replacing a whole section of it was what needed to be done.  Finally, FINALLY, we got somebody who could come take a look at it and they're getting it done this week.  Additionally, we decided that the front doors needed to be re-stained and varnished.  We've been in our house for 4 years and haven't done anything to the door since we bought the house.  Apparently, with stained doors, you're supposed to reapply varnish at least annually.  Thanks, Homeowner's Manual and Builder for telling us of these important things.  Anyway, there's no time like the present to get all this crap done that we've been putting off.  So needless to say, I think this is the most expensive birthday in the history of Anders/Rainwater celebrations.  I think the only way we could've  incurred more expense would be if we'd hired The Black-Eyed Peas to come fete David Scott with his favorite song which is still "Boom, Boom, Pow."  

No comments:

Post a Comment