Thursday, April 7, 2011

Weekend at...Gran's

Well, David Scott's cut above his lip is almost totally healed and you can't even see that there was ever any cut. Yay for both Neosporin and Mederma. This weekend was a relatively quiet one except for our friend Carroll's family-oriented birthday party which was Saturday afternoon. It was lots of fun especially considering a beach trip we have this summer with some of our friends and their kids most of whom were at the birthday gathering. Background: Several summers ago, we began our Law Vacay tradition of beaching it up for a long weekend with several of Scotty's bffs from law school and their wives. We took a hiatus last year b/c we were all in some stage of new parenting or gestation. So now all 4 couples and all 4 babies are going to Orange Beach. The kids will range in age from 8-20 months old. It will be...interesting...I'm certain.

But going back, b/c last weekend was a fun-filled one in which DS and I spent up in North LA. Scotty went on a boys' golfing trip to Gulf Shores so he missed out on our weekend fun. We arrived at Mom's Friday evening. Saturday morning, DS woke up bright and early about 6:30. We went to the kitchen to pour his milk, and I turn around to give it to my sweet, angelic child and nearly lost it when I saw his face in the light. It was covered in blood. On his face, on his hands, on his jammies, and a few minutes later, I even saw it in several spots on me. Not knowing what was going on or where the blood was coming from, we ran to the bathroom where Gran quickly joined us in the clean-up. We deduced that DS had a nosebleed which continued to bleed ever-so-slightly for a little while after everybody got cleaned. It was either a nosebleed or he'd bashed his nose up against my face/head at some point just before waking up. Scary, regardless of the reason for the blood. Had I not been so freaked out, I would've taken pics to send to Scotty and then had them for the blog. But since I had no idea where all that blood had come from, taking a pic was the last thing on the brain at 6:34 on Saturday morning. After the rough start, the rest of the day was a vast improvement.

Gran, DS, and I met Auntie Boo, Mimi, and Mamaw at the Monroe zoo. The train? Not in service. The boat? Not working. The elephant? What elephant? The giraffe? Huh? Ostriches mating? Check. Yes, we had the pleasure, or maybe bad timing would be a better phrase, of seeing the successful dance/call of the mating male ostrich and his partner. He had moves you've never seen. We didn't think the females -- which we correctly guessed by the fact that they were totally ignoring the advances of the male -- were remotely interested in the male until...Bam!...it happened. Relations. I think Mamaw said it best when she said that she'd gone 76 years without seeing that. We all agreed that we could've gone the rest of our lives without seeing that. Anyway, despite the fact that the zoo was missing several key animals, there was one little monkey who was personality plus. DS was in need of a snack, so I broke out one-- the banana. We were by a monkey's cage and he just stood there looking at us, pleading with his eyes...and eventually he stuck his hand through the cage waiting for a handout. I knew we couldn't give him anything, but he was so cute begging. After the "zoo," we all went to eat at Olive Garden. As per usual, OG did not disappoint and DS acted pretty good too, which was a bonus. After lunch, Mimi and Mamaw went home while Boo, Mama, DS, and me went on a few errands. 1st stop netted me the St. Joseph's figure which I have yet to bury. 2nd stop netted me nothing except a quick look at Paul Michael's loot...nothing I couldn't live without. Then, Boo headed home while the three of us went back to Mom's.

Brad (aka Uncle B/BB) was waiting on us when we arrived. I mowed the yard for Mom and David (b/c I needed to work on my tan), while DS played inside. I find out later that Brad has recorded David Scott doing the Bernie. Brad asks, "Sarah, have you heard of the Bernie?" My response, "Weekend at Bernie's? Bernie Mac? Bernie Madoff?". No, no, and no. It's just some dance that apparently DS has perfected where you bounce with your head thrown back. And considering that's practically David Scott's signature move, he aced throwing his head back and doing it. You can see him shaking it via my fb page.

On Sunday, we came home relatively early b/c we had to meet Scotty's group in BR to pick him up and take him home with us. However, on our way home, we stopped for lunch at Sonic. Thinking it would be easier to let DS sit up front while we were stopped for lunch, I ordered him a grilled cheese sandwich. Wrong. Not to mention the frenzy Lola went into having semi-access to real food. She actually lunged at DS and ate part of this bite eight after this pic was taken:



Eventually we made it home where Mr. Grilled Cheese wanted to go "out!" One funny conversation to note: David Scott climbed up on the patio table. I said to him, "You better get down. Do you want a spanking?". DS replied, "No." I nearly died. Then, he still wouldn't get down, so I started counting, "One..." David Scott continued with, "Two..." How can I punish that?!? I just lifted him off the table at that point, laughing silently the whole time. That kid...

Sunday David Scott ate dirt. Captured for posterity:



- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

1 comment:

  1. grilled cheese pic looks like Anders; Dirt mouth looks like Rainwater!!! LOL...

    ReplyDelete