Wednesday, August 19, 2009

I've never liked failing a test...

I can count on one hand the number of times that I've actually failed a test -- any test. So you can imagine my surprise when I went in for my Glucose Tolerance Test this morning and failed. By two points. For those of you who are not familiar with how this works, you go in first thing in the morning after not eating anything for 12 hours or so. They draw your blood and check your blood sugar. My fasting blood sugar was 81 -- pretty good. Then they make you drink this thick, sugary cup of grossness, wait an hour, and test your blood again. As I'm waiting for this second test, I saw my doctor. Everything was fine. Baby appears to be growing appropriately and I'm feeling lots and lots of movement/kicking -- All. The. Time. Even in the middle of the night. The baby's heartbeat was 157. Oh, and I've gained a total of 11 pounds, which is great according to Dr. G. I go back in three weeks and then I'll start going every two weeks. Kind of scary to think that we're in the home stretch. And that in a little over 3 months, I will be shooting a human being out of my hoo-ha. Not literally of course b/c who has that kind of muscle strength. But nothing short of amazing nonetheless. Back to my visit. So I'm done with my doctor when it's time to have my blood sugar tested after drinking the orange goo and waiting an hour. The magic number was 140 or less. My blood sugar was 142. I wanted to ask the lab tech if she could just put me at 139, I was just 2 points over. But I thought better of it and besides, she probably wouldn't do it anyway. So now I have to go back next Tuesday for the 3-hour Glucose Tolerance Test. Yipee (dripping with sarcasm).

My nurse called me later on in the afternoon to give me the news. No newsflash here. The lab tech spilled the beans earlier. Additionally, I'm anemic. Again, no newsflash here since I was anemic the first time they drew my blood several months ago and have been taking an iron pill every other day ever since. She told me to continue taking my iron supplement like I have been since I can't tolerate the side effects of taking it every day. For those of you who've had to take iron, you know the side effect of which I am speaking. For those of you who don't, let's just say that it's why some people have to drink/take Metamucil...

Now to a more pleasant topic, we're just starting to clean out the office which will become the nursery. I think we've pretty much settled on a crib and already have a couple of "antiques/sentimental pieces" (a dresser and cedar-closet-turnded-bookcase) that will coordinate with the crib, now we just have to make room for it all, so we'll be rearranging some things between the current office/future nursery and the guest room and getting rid of a few dust collectors -- the futon and an armoire that are currently just taking up space. It's amazing to me that I grew up in a house with 4 other people (one of whom I grew up sharing a bedroom with) that was about the size of our current abode, and yet, our little family is quickly outgrowing our 3-bedroom, 2 bathroom home. Times have changed, I guess.

We have Mom's wedding this weekend. I hope I can still fit into my dress. I'm 95% sure that I will. I'll be sure to upload a pic of the Human Tootsie Roll (me in my brown dress) including a bonus belly pic since I haven't done one in a few weeks with the next post.

1 comment: