Saturday, November 21, 2009

HE'S HERE!!!

So I lied.  Scotty is not doing the first post after David Scott's arrival.  However, his is coming, so be on the lookout for it.  David Scott Rainwater, Jr. was born on November 18, 2009.  He was 6 lbs 6.5 oz and 21 inches long at birth.  Let me walk you through our day from my POV:

3:15 a.m. - Wake up after a decent night's sleep.  I thought I would not sleep at all but I guess that my body knew I'd better rest up for the events of the day.
4:10 a.m. - We leave our house.  Scotty and I discussed how excited we both were to meet our little guy and how calm (not nervous) we both felt about everything.  I guess going to the hospital under happy/good circumstances tends to calm the nerves a little.  Scotty would probably say that his ice water veins have finally rubbed off on me after 12.5 years of togetherness.
4:30 a.m. - Arrive at hospital to check in for the Big Day.
5:30 a.m. - Getting set up in my Labor, Delivery, and Recovery Suite/Room.  Nurse blows out 2 veins trying to get the IV started.  She finally gets it on the 4th try.  Despite being a human pin cushion, I remained calm.  I was checked and was still at 3 cm.  Harnesses and such are put on to minitor contractions and baby's heartbeat.  Nurse:  "Wow!  That was a big one. Did you feel it?"  Me:  "Feel what?"  IV gets started and Scotty finally gets to come into the room after sitting in the waiting room for about 45 minutes or so.



  
 
8:30a.m. - Dr. G comes in and checks me.  I'm now at 4 cm.  As she's checking me, my water breaks.  Yuck!  But not the first "yuck" thing to happen as I'm sure you can imagine!  Mama was in the room as this happens -- David waited patiently in the waiting area.  Sue Sue and Rachel get there shortly after these events.
9:45 a.m. -  Hear a girl screaming, yelling, DYING...I start thinking about getting that epidural sooner rather than later.  Contractions aren't too bad at this point; but there's no need to be a hero.
10:45 a.m. - Scotty's family arrives -- Debbie, Lee, Mamaw, and Papaw come in for a visit. 
11:15 a.m. - Nurse comes in to check me -- 6 cm.
11:45 a.m. - Anesthesia!  Time for the epidural.  Not too painful to actually get, but I had to get in an uncomfortable position in order for the anesthesiologist to administer it.  I'm slightly concerned about squishing my baby who at the time was kicking me in my ribs.  Not the most pleasant thing to be still for.  Especially since the anesthesiologist is explaining his every move to an intern.  Yes!  I'm a learning opporunity for someone.  Afterwards, I get a popcicle.  It was red and delicious!
12:45 p.m. - I am checked and am at 9 cm.  Dr. G came in to do the honors.  She expects me to start pushing in about an hour and have the baby shortly thereafter.
1:45 p.m. - I am ready to start pushing my baby out into the real world. 
2:05 p.m. - We realize DS has his head facing towards the side rather than up or down which is why my pushes aren't getting the progress they should.  I have dead legs so that was fun having to maneuver so that he would turn properly.  Things progress.
2:42 p.m.  - Our son, David Scott Rainwater, Jr. enters the world.  His cries are the sweetest sounds I've ever heard.  Scotty, who was a trooper during this process, cuts the umbilical cord. 




2:50 p.m.  Scotty continues to get more than an eyeful of the events.  He does not puke or pass out.  I love him so much!
At this point, I kind of lost track of the time.  But to summarize it, I've got a room full of people, technicians, nurses, etc. who are all doing their part in this miracle -- taking care of Mom, taking care of baby.  Taking our first family pics:



Afterwards, our entire family is able to come in and meet David Scott for the first time.  We're all in aggreement:  He's the most beautiful baby that ever lived!  We are smitten from then on.   DS is very alert and is just adorable.  He looks just like his Daddy.  Finally, about 5:00, I get moved to the room where we'll stay until we are released on Friday sometime.  Scotty stayed with me Wednesday night.  Sleep in a hospital is somewhat elusive and my husband didn't have the luxury of meds or a decent mattress to help him out.  After having many visitors both Wednesday night, and throughout the day and evening on Thursday, I sent Scotty home Thursday night for a shower and a good night's rest.  My mom stayed with me in the hospital that night.  Right before we went to bed, I'm informed that DS is slightly jaundiced and they need to do further testing/labwork.  Fortunately, his jaundice is at the lower end of the scale; nevertheless, I'm concerned.  Although we were released on Friday around lunchtime, we were given orders to follow up with more lab work this morning and to supplement his feedings with formula each time to help with the jaundice. 

As I mentioned in a previous post, my mom is staying with us for a week and then she'll trade off with Scotty's mom who'll stay for several more days.  Since we've been home, things have been going pretty well.  We had to go in for the additional lab work this morning.  He's still got jaundice but is still in the lower end of the scale.  The pediatrician wants us to continue supplementing with formula til my milk comes in and to come back in on Monday morning for another heel stick blood test.  BTW, this test does not look painless -- however, David Scott did not cry at all while they were doing it.  He is such an awesome baby.  Since we've been home, both my husband and my mom have been excellent.  I knew that Mama had experience with kids -- obviously -- so I knew that she would be a big help.  However, I think -- no, I know -- I lucked out in the husband department as taking care of the baby seems to come very naturally for Scotty. 


I've been asked if we'll continue the blog since the baby is now here.  My response to that is:  Of course!  We want you to continue on in our journey with us as we watch our son grow and as our family grows as well.  We are so blessed...





1 comment:

  1. yea!! he's sooo cute! and, little miss fastest labor and delivery EVER...i semi hate you, but i guess i'll get over it. :) and, a popcicle??? i'm jealous. anyway, he's precious and as soon as my child gets over rsv, i'll leave her and come visit y'all!

    ReplyDelete