Sunday, December 5, 2010

1st Birthday Party

We celebrated David Scott's first birthday on Saturday, November 13th.  Numerous family and friends drove in from North LA (and a few locals) to celebrate with us.  Boo came in on Friday evening to help me get everything ready.  Her real motive for coming in was to get DS to walk more than the one and two steps at a time that he'd been doing.  Scotty and I really hadn't been forcing the issue with him as we knew that he'd eventually put one foot in front of the other and take off -- kind of like he did with crawling -- started off slow, but really progressed when he was ready to. 

Friday night, we did very little other than go eat at Outback (shocker).  So on Saturday morning, there was lots to do.  However, Auntie Boo decided the most important thing was for DS to walk more.  The 4 of us sat down and let the birthday boy walk in between us.  Before she (and Brad) left on Sunday, David Scott was taking up to 7 steps at a time...when he didn't realize it, of course.  Anyway, besides helping DS with walking, we prepped food, jazzed up the cake toppers, (she) decorated the goody bags), and other little errands.  Our guests started arriving around 12:30 when Gran and Papa D (and Brad, who'd met up with a friend but arrived shortly thereafter) got to the house.  Mimi and Mamaw got there next, followed by Sue Sue and her crew (Alicia, Dale, Leslie, Riley, Angel, Lane, and Anna Kaye).  Then I think Lee and our friend Keith (AKA Uncle Salty) arrived.  Pre-party, DS was going to get his first haircut, courtesy of Angel.  Like a pro, he handled it well.  I don't think he was too squirmy and Angel was able to trim his bangs-area and some on the top -- his real first hair.  We kept a little for sentimental purposes. 

DS and his buddha belly getting a trim...

So happy to not have hair in his eyes anymore...

After the haircut, everyone else started arriving and the party officially kicked off.  There were babies/toddlers all over the place -- except for Baby John Devillier who slept quietly in his carseat in DS' room the whole time.  Olivia and her mom (Jessie) came from Ruston; Stella Grace and her mom (Betsey) came from Rayville -- the 4 of them actually rode together with it being the longest distance the moms had taken the babies/kids in their whole lives.  :)  And then Janice, a friend from high school, came with her little boy.  Also, CJ one of my friends from work and her husband Brett who are having a boy in January came as did Racheal (Evans/Bellemin).  I think that was it; hopefully I didn't leave anybody out.  And if I did, hopefully, they don't read my blog and would not be offended by my forgetfulness.  Anyway, after visiting for a while, it was time to open presents.  We are blessed with great friends and family who gave many age-appropriate gifts to DS -- grandparents and great-grandparents especially as Gran and Papa D gave DS a red wagon (with a canopy and cup holders to boot!); Mimi gave DS a rocking horse; and Mamaw and Papaw gave DS a cute, little, red rocker with the name "Rainwater" on it (David Scott had too many letters).  He plays with these and most of his other toys daily (except for the wagon since it's been too cold; but on warmer days, he's been taken out in his wagon and played in his little cozy coupe that we got him).  The spring will be a fun time with all of his outside toys that it'll be warm enough to play with.  By then, David Scott will be able to full on jog since his walking ability has just exploded since borthday party weekend. But I digress...

Riding in his wagon pre-party with Riley

After presents, it was cake time -- always my most favorite time at any party/gathering.  DS got to have his own "smash" cake while the rest of us enjoyed this (I don't think I got a full-on smash-cake pic):


What is this?



The big cake.  Boo and I fixed up the animals. 

One of my coworkers recommended this lady to make the cakes and they turned out awesome!  Not to mention the fact that I only paid $40 for both.  BOTH CAKES = $40!!!  DS seemed to enjoy his cake and got it everywhere.  I was worried the icing stains might not come out of his shirt, but they did.  To wash down his cake, DS also got to have his first taste of real cow's milk.  He took to it okay, but wasn't too impressed.  After cake time, everybody noshed on the finger foods and snacks and visited some more.  Most people didn't leave until 5 or so and a few (Lee, Keith, Melissa, Carroll, Baby John, and of course Rachel and Brad) stayed for the LSU game.  I don't recall the outcome.  Oh wait, yes I do, we played ULM and won.  Anyway, it was a nice weekend and it was funny to see DS around these other kids that he's never spent a lengthy amount of time with playing together.  I was so happy that he wasn't overwhelmed with all the people and he just dug into that cake -- wouldn't we all like to do that sometime...I know I might not pass up an opportunity if I was given it to have my own cake and completely pig out.  My only salvation would be if there was other food there and if I had to save room for something like spinach dip or chips and salsa, I could probably make a sacrifice and not eat a ton of cake.

It really is so hard to believe how fast this last year has flown by.  As has been the case the last few years, so much has changed over the previous 12 months...people...situations.  I continue to look forward to what the future brings even though I know it means that we'll never get back this precious time that we're having with our son.  I'm trying to enjoy every moment with him, especially on the weekends when we're not as rushed to get home, fix dinner, eat, bathtime, bedtime, and fall out with exhaustion.  As a consequence, I'm really behind on laundry, but who cares.  Not me...and Scotty has been known to wash a load or two (of his laundry) before, so we're good on that front.  We celebrated David Scott's actual birthday with cupcakes and cheesy chicken spaghetti -- is there any food that could've made this meal any better?  One word:  No.

No comments:

Post a Comment