Friday, December 31, 2010

Christmas 2010

Once again, we made the trek to North LA for Christmas. Once again, it was bittersweet. I would say there was definitely more sweet than bitter, though.

We got to Mom's house Thursday evening, ate supper, visited. Jessie, Olivia, and Mrs. Gayla came to visit. Scotty ran on to Monroe to help Mamaw with some errands for her and some of his own that evening and then again Friday morning before heading to Gilbert. Christmas Eve lunch was spent at Sue Sue's like we've done for as long as I can remember. We were glad to have viaited with everyone and are especially excited about our quickly-planned, last-minute ski trip with the McLemores and Sue-Sue next month.

That afternoon, the three of us headed to Mamaw's for the traditional Christmas Eve gathering of Scotty's family. We had shrimp e'touffe and grilled steaks. Delish. I made my "famous chocolate pie," and hashbrown casserole which were plowed through rather quickly. Those are two of Scotty's faves and I know if there's nothing else for him to eat, he'd at least have those -- they were also served at Mom's the next day. After everyone visited and DS entertained us with his dance moves, we popped a few fireworks and then it was time to go to bed and wait for Santa to visit us.


Santa was good to David Scott and didn't go overboard which was my special request. I'd hoped Santa would bring DS a toy box to put all his stuff in but apparently when you're an adult you don't get everything you want. :)

We had our traditional pancake breakfast, cooked by Scotty this year since Papaw wasn't with us, except in spirit. Then it was time to open gifts since we had to get on to Winnsboro for a late lunch with my family. Scotty made me work for my gift and I had to solve clues and literally search for it. However, I'd say it was worth it once I opened up my "Mother's ring" with David Scott's November birthstone surrounded by diamonds. Thanks, Love -- you have great taste. For Scotty I had a "Tiger's Eyes" canvas painting done a few years back, but he'd never had it hung b/c it wasn't framed and he hadn't taken it to get framed. So I had it framed and picked up an LSU-inspired memory-board, and put a few of our favorite pics on it. He loved them. They'll both go in Scotty's office at work. DS got so much stuff that I'm sure I'd leave something out if I tried naming it all. His favorite gift was from Scotty's cousin Ben and his fiancé -- a dump truck that moves and shakes with a driver that says, "Move that dirt!" We headed to Winnsboro soon thereafter.

When we got to Mom and David's, the smell of turkey, ham, and various casseroles was hanging in the air. Yummy. I love the food at Thanksgiving and Christmas. Anyway, Rachel and Dusty didn't get to eat lunch with the rest of us b/c they apparently missed the memo that we were eating at 2 so they ate with Dusty's family at noon. After we ate and Boo and Dusty got there, we exchanged gifts. DS rec'd more toys and clothes, but he also got a table and chairs set that Boo's had for over a year. She painted it white then added a lion on the table top and monkeys on the two seats. Good job, Boo! I'm excited about putting this in DS' room. I think he is too b/c he kept trying to sit in the seats or stand at the table. Unfortunately, we didn't have enough room so we had to leave it at Gran and Papa D's house til next time.

The remainder of our trip consisted of more quality time with both our families. We also spread Papaw's ashes on the bayou as per his request. I think there was a little more closure for everybody.

It's tough b/c we spend a good bit of time going back and forth b/c neither of us are willing to give up on our respective family traditions. However, we'll get to have a little more face time going forward b/c we got both grandmothers and great-grandmother webcams so we'll be able to skype some now. It'll be fun once we're all connected.

After an extended but good trip up, it's nice being back home and in our routine. We're looking forward to another exciting year and can't wait to see everything 2011 has in store.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment