Wednesday, October 14, 2009

T - 6 weeks and counting...

I had my weekly sonogram/ultrasound today. No cute pictures to share or too much noteworthy news. David Scott was still measuring about a week behind my due date -- currently about 33 weeks and a day vs. 34 weeks and a day. His weight was estimated to be 4 lbs., 14 oz. The u/s tech said that he may slow down the weight gain as it gets closer to my due date, so he may not reach the 8 lb prediction my doctor mentioned at my visit last week. That's a relief...although he'll be whatever size he needs to be whenever he decides to come and join us on the outside world. I'm excited about my u/s and doctor's visit next week (see previous post) as we'll possibly have a better idea of things and I'll be able to pre-register at the hospital so that'll be one less thing to have to worry about once I actually do go into labor. Anyway, the baby was pretty calm and wasn't trying to communicate with us today. He was just maxing and relaxing in his crib, so to speak. We were able to watch him breathe a little bit. You could see his little mouth opening and closing so that was pretty cool. Then we noticed that he had his little hand across his forehead like he was trying to convey to us that he was exhausted after a hard day's work of lying in womb-goo. That was pretty cute! But, we didn't get a picture of it.

Mama and David came in town this past weekend. While Scotty was getting ready for the LSU-FL game and David was taking a test, Mama and I rode around town picking up some must-have baby things. I feel better prepared just in case the little booger decides to come early. I'm sure I'll spend the next few weekends doing the same thing, picking up a few items here and there. I don't know that you can ever have enough "stuff" when it comes to being totally prepared for having a kid.

Is it weird that I feel oddly calm about bringing this baby home? I mean, you're probably reading this and thinking, "How naive Sarah is," especially if you've already had kids yourself. But seriously, I've had many years of hands-on baby care starting with my brother Brad who was born when I was 7, and continuing through college when I kept my Leslie (part of my extended family) for a summer. It's just kind of strange. I think most soon-to-be-mothers -- especially those who are first-timers like me -- are probably a little freaked out about being responsible for a child for the rest of their lives and nervous/anxious about actually taking care of it. I'm just really confident in my abilities to raise a child. I know it's not always going to be easy -- nothing that's worth it ever is. But I do know that this is going to be a fun adventure that we're about to embark on...and I can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment